What is Live-in relationship?

“It’s better to have a live-in relationship rather then having a divorced life!” This is common and quite rational line favoring live-in relations in the world. Live in relationship are not new for western countries but these days the concept is adjusting its roots in east also. The word live in is controversial in many terms in eastern countries. But the the 2K generation is so much influenced with this concept, in the whole world. The legal definition of live in relationship is “an arrangement of living under which the couples which are unmarried live together to conduct a long-going relationship similarly as in marriage.”

The basic idea of cohabitation or conducting a live in relationship is that the interested couple wanted to test their compatibility for each other before going for some commitment; the other reasons are some financial concerns or homosexuality. In some parts of world these types of relationships are valid but some countries are highly strict for accepting the concept. It has been found that Younger generation is wider to accept the live in relationships.

Why live-in?
live-in-relationshipThis is a general question which can strike at anybody mind that when arrangement of marriage is for two persons in love then why couples are leaning towards the live-in relationships. This question can have multiple answers, but this have been found that almost all the couples perusing a live-in relation are willing to get married someday. But before that they want to spend some time with one another, for understanding each other and to figure out their compatibility. Because they believe that if they found themselves incompatible after marriage then they will have no choice other then compromising their life-styles.
Some couples believe that going for a weeding is just a waste of money, because they think their love doesn’t need any paper certification or social drama. The reasons can be numerous depending upon different mental set-ups.

Need of modern world
Today many traditional communities are heading up in the world who opposes live-in relationships; they found it against their religious concerns and social foundations. But it has to be understood that the emotional bindings and relationships can never be pressed by power. Live-in concept is not a problem, it is just a thinking. And it has to be entertained rationally. If youth is getting more influenced with the concept, then ethical and legal communities of world must take some necessary steps to keep the concept original and rational. In spite of threatening people about live-in relationships, the need says to support and help the couples who are living together, so that one day they go for some healthier and more social relationship.

Live-in Vs Marriage
There are some couples (excluding gay and lesbian) who are living together from years but they still don’t want to get married. For avoiding unsuccessful live-in relationships and for all couples who are confused about getting married before and during live-in relations, here are some recommended steps which will help them to take some healthier decision -
• Take decision to live with each other seriously and with great care.
• Couples should be very clear about their expectations from each other before they go for living with each other. Why are you going for live-in relation? You should be very clear about this.
• Remember living with each other doesn’t make a guarantee that after this a guy will turn from somebody who says “I will never get married” to somebody who make purpose on his knees. Expectations should be limited and never try to improve your relation, just live-in because you have a smooth going relation.
• Don’t think that after living-in or after marriage your partner will change.
• Fix a time for living with each other. You should not waste too much of your time in trying to establish compatibility. If it is, it is and if it does not exist, accept that.
• Sign some agreement for live-in to handle finances and to set limits of physical relationships.
• Be clear with the fact that what is acceptable to you and what is not. It will help to have a rational decision about your partner.
• Avoid pregnancy, because in cohabitation relations the birth of children is found to be unwanted by both of the parents. Under these circumstances, it will be detrimental for future of child as well as for healthy relationship between the couple.
• Finally if you are deciding to go for marriage discus with each other that what will change and what will not.
• Listen to your heart and go for a decision for which you don’t need to blame anybody in future. Learn where to be emotional and where to be rational.

Conclusion
Media misprinted the report that couples who go for live-in relationships are more likely to divorce each other. But that is not true. Reports have been shown that the couples who go for live-in relationships are more opposite to divorce then the ones who marry without living with each other because of their social or religious concerns. It’s quite rational also because most of couples go for live-in relations because they hate to be divorced, so why they will do the same after marriage?
Well still the opposing communities are on the rock, and it is uncertain that the live-in concept is acceptable or not? But it is rooting up day by day and it needs ethical and legal concerns.

Category: Dating, Marriage, Relationships

34 Comments on “What is Live-in relationship?”


anupma jain wrote:

I do support d concept of Live-Ins… They do have a lot of positive points…
U can always know your partner well before getting married… when v date sum1, v always see the best of them… but when we live with someone, we have to see them in their best and worst… so live-in gives a good outlook of what a marriage… but then… live-in requires high level of maturity n responsibility.. people who may get into live-in just because its cool or without knowing what its all about, are in for big trouble…
Marriages r important because they provide security 2 people… that’s why they have been happening since years n will b happening in future too…

so, Live-in should not be a substitute for marriage… let it be a step before marriage… that’s a balanced way i guess…

Personally… i do like live-ins… i really like d concept, n if given a chance would love to live-in with a boy.. but with a boy from whom i have strong emotions

Ecegpmc wrote:

The concept sounds cool. I would personally never want to get divorced. However, I would better spend sometime living-in with someone for a while and figure out if we click with each other. If we do, marriage is the next things, else part before this becomes an emotional obligation.

rohit wrote:

can a married man can go for live in relation if his wife is not staying with him since last one and a half year and also not got divorced

Bill wrote:

@rohit
A married can’t go for live in relation. He should get a divorce if he is serious about the other woman.

muhammed aftab wrote:

This is not at all a good concept for a human being, we people here only for food, sex, money??? Apart from that lot of things we have to do and we should not do,so such a concept like live in relation is bad..if boy and girl likes each other let them talk each other and understand and let them marry apart from that is wrong concept and basically am a true believer of Allah…and believe me guys, its not at all good….

mukul wrote:

the living relationship is not our cultural. if this type relationship has not succeed than many problem would be face on us like as [marriage life, in your job also your business life] if you can’t live alone and that you time you have a problem so apprise for anybody who has related from your family,they will cooperate to you…………..

vishal wrote:

one should think about the main thing and that is acceptance by others. be it married couple or unmarried couple or lovers. if u create acceptance, you won.

ANUP KHANKAL wrote:

I am married person got a child, my wife is not perfect for me she want divorce from me and i don’t want to live with her, i am earning very well i don’t have any problem, but i don’t want to live, i decided to give her divorce,i hope u will give me suggestion, i want to come in live in relationship,waiting for reply………

Palash wrote:

Well, it is way too early to even come into some kind of conclusion, especially when it comes to a concept called live-in relationship. I personally feel that this is a personal statement and practice, which young and old couples alike prefer.

TARUN KRN wrote:

I want say only one thing, men will never understand women and women will never understand men and that’s the one thing that men and women will never understand. This is truth believe it or not.

uday kumar gadkar wrote:

Yes, am for live in relation. I say marriage should be abolish from the world, with that divorce & prostitution will also disappear..all human beings are polygamy.. marriage makes them monogamy which is against it’s nature.
so that’s the reason after marriage too people keep relation outside..
Live-in-relation is like a river.. always alive, always flowing in love, marriage is like a lake or a pond which becomes dead after some time.. to know more about marriage please read books of Osho.

neelam wrote:

Hi, I’m divorced & recently seeing one guy, but his divorce i.e. his court case is not complete. Can we come under live in relationship..Will the boy’s first wife harass me? What can she do? Can anybody guide me please.

ravi ji wrote:

I respectfully disagree in the support of live-in relationship, pupils are giving excuse that to avoid divorce they will prefer live-in but from my point of view if there is understanding and love between couples then there won’t be any divorce case. If a person says by staying together for a year (like in live-in) he knew her partner well then he is making fool of himself, we never know how anyone can react in different situation …. moreover we need a bond in our relationship like a married couple have then only we can enjoy a happy life…

BIJUS wrote:

I understand that the world is changing and people in the contemporary world, like something new, which is considered to be very interesting. Live-in relationship is one such choice for such a generation who desire for something creative. Arranged marriages, love marriages, gay marriages and the latest one is the swapping of the spouses with mutual consent have become outdated or getting outdated. People are looking for something new and Live-in relationship fits very much into this kind of condition. This kind of relationship can, to some extend cater to the emotional need of the young generation. Individuals can learn the role of a husband or a wife,; the challenges a couple faces and the dos and don’ts in a married life.

On the other hand one should also realize that human beings are wise beings and quite different from animals. Choosing a life partner is different from choosing a dress or vehicle. These things are mortal but the human life is immortal. The choice made here will really effect the individual in eternity. The spirit/s of the previous partner/s will continue to haunt that person whether you like it or not. This is because we are living in a spirit related world. My dear friends this is a serious thing we are getting involved in. The world is heading towards a disaster. I am concerned about the generation few years FROM NOW. Think about their desires and aspirations. Will the world be able to fulfill their aspirations without compromising the ethical and moral values. Bible says these will happen in the last days of the world. Wake up friends. Let us repent and conscientise the younger generation. Hurry up. This may be a wake up call for us.

dinesh wrote:

I am married person got a child, my wife is not perfect for me she wants divorce from me and I don’t want to live with her, I am earning very well. I don’t have any problem, I decided to give her divorce, I hope you will give me suggestion, I want to come in live in relationship, waiting for reply.

anand prakash wrote:

Tell me one thing is there a minimum age for couples to have a live in relationship? If yes then what is this age? Also tell me other conditions for this?

RAVI wrote:

I think that we are so much influenced from western culture. Our Indian culture never give us permission to do this type of live in relation so I personally feels that it is a degradation of society moral values if we continue follow western culture so one day we will completed destroy our own culture.

devender wrote:

Live in is really a good concept not only to completely understand life partner but also the importance of marriage. How can I get married with someone whom I don’t know.

Vinita. wrote:

It’s a wrong concept. We should follow our culture. We should be respectful to our culture. It’s not our culture.

Sultan wrote:

Polygamy is natural and is supported by the Shastras, there is no things like divorce in Hindu shastra. But the age old constitutions do not allow polygamy. People might avoid marriages in future.

After almost 20 years of marriage I found that my wife is having illicit relationship with others!

I can’t divorce her because my religion do not allow me to do so, and as per law I can’t remarry without divorce!

Live in relationship is unethical and will create many problems in family life, but people will adapt it unless government change the rules.

mradu wrote:

I disagree with this western concept of live-in to be practiced at least in India..before talking about such matters and feel proud of our modernity we should not forget the highly enriched cultural background that has been inherited to us..and it’s on this solid foundation that our nation has a respected position despite all odds..Let’s not blindly copy the west and apply our own minds to think what is right and what is wrong from every point of view.

Arvind Kumar wrote:

Live-in relationship is not good for our society because, it is against the institution of marriage. Live-in relationship is also a kind of social evil. Marriage is such an institution where couple feel more secure. Divorce may be the consequence of marriage but not always, it is totally depend upon party of the marriage. If they are mature and rationale, they will solve their problems. Divorced woman is better than such woman who has been left by her live-in partner.

HARI SINGH MOHI wrote:

Marriage is a social contract forcing two individuals to continue living together even when they stop feeling any liking for each other, They are compelled to have no relationship outside marriage although both are professedly social animals and polygamist by nature and behavior. Instead, a live-in relationship keeps all the options open and both the individuals try to remain desirable to each other lest they prove socially undesirable n unadjusting. They are also free from all sorts of restrictions on relationship outside their mutuality. Shared financial responsibility also adds to the mutual harmony in a live-in adjustment whereas an unearning partner proves to be a burden on the other and also keeps suffering from inferiority.

D.K. Khatri wrote:

I want to go through live in relation ship first because as per my opinion that we should know each other deeply, if we love each other to the bottom of our heart & understanding mutually then we can both decide to live with each other forever.

bibhuti wrote:

As it’s said in the article that a live-in relationship leads to marriage than why not marriage first….? Is there any cent percent guarantee that the couple who believe in this relationship will guide their lives for a guy for rest of his/her life with the same approach of compatibility, love, affection and commitment. Perhaps not….then why live-in relationship….? Because, by getting inspired with the western culture…., a few people have idealized this thought for their amusement and fun. They lack social responsibility, prestige, keenness and obligation to each other. Really it is a sick attitude of human beings who fail to admire the emotional bondage between two individuals who really love each other a lot because love doesn’t have an ending division rather it always adds a new flavor to our relationship.

sonu wrote:

A married person can’t go for a live in relation. He should get a divorce if he is serious about the other woman.

prafull wrote:

Live in in relationship has a freedom of choosing and testing their pair, but there should be some measures followed in this, because it’s human tendency of changing. It requires commitment from both of the pair.

sona wrote:

Neelam ji,
One side you are saying that …you want live-in-relationship…
Live-in-relationship is the term in which the both girl and boy themselves decide to go for Live-in-relationships not to dis-close to everyone….otherwise the society would not allow you to do so….
So you both have to decide themselves that you have to go for this relationship or not…this relationship has both good and as well bad phase..further you want to know then write.

choroid wrote:

I agree with Anupma Jain. Live-in concept can be a step before marriage. I believe this concept will gain popularity gradually in today’s modern world despite resistance from society. It’s good for people who don’t want commitments and like freedom. I guess this concept was there thousands of years back, before the human civilization, even before the concept of marriage. Every fashion comes back again!

ruchi wrote:

I think the only reason to be with in live in relationship is the lack of patience in our young generation they are so extrovert such that they only want to follow the concept of use and throw.

sameer wrote:

hi..

I am married, and don’t have any child out of it, i am not staying with my wife for more than 3 years, i have filed a divorce petition in family court, it is 2 years now and i have still not got divorce, and nor she is ready to give me divorce, she has betrayed me and so i want divorce from her, i am sure that i don’t want to stay with her.

Now in this case I don’t know when will i get divorce and remarry someone else, so in this case my question is can i go for live in relation with some other else if yes then can i have children from this relation.

c m pokhriyal wrote:

I am a Physically Handicapped person and got married in November 2003 and become father of a daughter. My wife and daughter are not living with me for more than last six years. I have filed a complaint to Police Station Indirapuram Ghaziabad U.P., National Commission for Women, National Human Rights Commission, Office of Chief Commissioner for persons with disabilities and vigilance commission. But there was no action by any of them. Now I and my wife both are not legally divorced. My parents are also living with me. So kindly inform me that can a woman stay with me at my home under law of live in relationship.

Rinki wrote:

Live in relationship concept sounds good. I have been with my boyfriend for 2 months and we got the opportunities to know the realities of life. Now we know good and bad both things and we have physical relation also. Earlier I was not in favor of sex but his care and love enforce me to accept him both mentally and physically. Really, we are happy and we will get married soon.
I like this concept.

sonu wrote:

@Rinki
When you were not in favor of sex, how did your boyfriend treat you? What kind of care he was taking?

Write a Comment


seven + = 13

Copyright © 2014 The Gemini Geek | Contact Us | Copyright Policy. All rights reserved.