Liposuction-it means suction of Lipids (fats). It is a surgical procedure used to remove excessive fat from particular parts of the body and hence shape the body. Now one may even think that he/she can use it for weight loss purpose. But it should be noted that it is not one of the ways to loose body weight.
It is a way to remove the fat localized to one area. It cannot take the place of exercise and diet but is meant for shaping the body figure. Liposuction is also used to treat men with gynecomastia by reducing their breast size. Fat tumors (lipomas) can also be removed by liposuction but mostly it is used for the purpose of body shaping.
We must thank the new world of medicine, especially the world of cosmetic surgery. But this weight removal is not permanent. The part from where the fat has been removed can regain the fat if a proper diet plan is not made. One has to control his/her diet in order to maintain his/her shape. It is a popular myth that after liposuction, any additional accumulation of fat will be redistributed to all the parts of the body, so get this myth out of the way.
Now parts/areas of body of body where liposuction can be done are:-
3. Neck, cheeks and chin.
8. Back etc.
Liposuction is most effective when:-
1. When a person has relatively a normal weight.
2. When a person has a firm and elastic skin.
Point to be noted is that liposuction may not be suitable to those with uncontrolled BP (Blood Pressure), Heart disease, Lung disease, Diabetes, Obesity (weight being than 130% of the total body weight) and other severe ailments.
Now some details about Liposuction
During Liposuction, a vacuum-suction canula (an instrument like a hollow pen) is used to remove fat from under the skin of the target area/part of the body.
For liposuction, instead of canula, an ultrasonic probe can also be used which emulsifies the fat i.e. breaks the fat into small pieces and then removes the fat fragments with suction.
There are four most commonly used techniques for liposuction. These are:-
1. Tumescent Liposuction.
2. Ultrasound Assisted Liposuction (UAL) or Ultrasonic Liposuction.
4. Power Assisted Liposuction.
Tumescent Liposuction makes use of saline fluid (in large quantity) which separates the fatty tissues from muscles and thus makes fat removal easy.
UAL makes use of Ultrasonic energy to separate the fatty tissues from muscles.
Liposuction is a type of UAL only but in addition, it uses a specialized canula and grooved probes.
In Power Assisted Liposuction, a vibrating canula is used for easier removal of fat.
Although it is generally a safe surgery but like all others surgeries, it too has some risks. It can cause heavy bleeding but this problem does not occur with UAL. Person may not react properly to anesthesia. Swelling may continue for long. It can cause hyper pigmentation i.e. it can cause brown colored spots on the skin.
Above mentioned risks are most common but there are some risks which are rare. These are:-
1. It can cause infection and blood clots.
2. It can cause nerve damage for ever.
3. It can cause necrosis (death of skin tissue).This risk is more in smokers and diabetic patients.
4. It even can cause death but it is very rare.
Now after having all information regarding liposuction, it is time to get some tips for minimizing the risk level:-
1. We should approach an experienced plastic surgeon for liposuction. Only an experienced surgeon knows the level up to which fat can be removed without any serious implications.
2. One must follow the instructions given by the surgeon at every step.
3. One must be sufficiently healthy to be able for liposuction. One should tell surgeon about his/her health history and the medicines he/she takes.
4. There is a risk of blood clots in legs for women taking birth control pills. So women must stop taking birth control pills.
5. Person should not smoke before and after the surgery.
So, this is all for liposuction. Now it is up on you to opt or not to opt for.